CHURUBUSCO — A Post & Mail reporter received medical treatment for electric shock Thursday night after an incident at Turtle Days in Churubusco.
Nicole Ott, 22, was at the midway at Churubusco’s Town Park at approximately 8:15 p.m., taking photos of the festival, when a bundle of cables underneath a rubber mat allegedly shorted out, causing a spark and brief ignition.
“The doctor said I was lucky I was wearing tennis shoes and not sandals,” Ott said. “The sole of my shoes helped slow the conduction of electricity.”
The rubber mat was melted, and pavement under the cable was charred. Though not seriously injured, many questioned the safety of potentially life-threatening voltage running through the cables, especially in the presence of small children.
A nearby ride, The Scrambler, was shut down briefly while an employee from the ride provider, Playland Amusements, made repairs to the cable.
To read the rest of this story, see the June 21 issue of The Post and Mail. Don't have a subscription? Call (260) 244-5153 or subscribe to our e-edition . For breaking news, sports updates and additional coverage, bookmark the homepage  and find us on facebook  and twitter .