- Special Sections
LORANE â€” Whitley County is peppered with towns that once existed on their own, but have since been incorporated into larger municipalities.
Although time may have diminished small townsâ€™ independence, the legacy and history behind places such as Peabody and Tunker still live on.
Never has that sentiment been more true than for the little town that once was â€” Lorane.
Located off of West Lincolnway, near the County Road 350 West intersection, the town was founded in 1850.
In 1851, a post office was established in a small country general store which burned in 1855.
However, itâ€™s a somewhat comical story that has left the town with three variations of its name.
Gary Burelison, who grew up in Lorane, and some of his friends, had a pure motive to better Loraneâ€™s town marker â€” but the best intentions couldnâ€™t erase the blunder that came from a simple good deed.
To read the rest of this story, see the Nov. 15 issue of The Post and Mail. Don't have a subscription? Call (260) 244-5153 or subscribe to our e-edition. For breaking news, sports updates and additional coverage, bookmark the homepage and find us on facebook and twitter.