Skip to main content

School fire quickly under control

November 19, 2013

COLUMBIA CITY — Firefighters worked to quickly control a fire at Indian Springs Middle School Monday morning.

At approximately 10:45 a.m., firemen from Columbia City and Columbia Township Fire Departments responded to a fire alarm at the middle school, located on Ind. 9, south of Columbia City.

Students were evacuated from the building, and sent to Little Turtle Elementary School to wait for officials to control the fire, which was believed to be started by a candle in a sixth-grade class.

ISMS sent an email to parents Monday afternoon, saying “All staff and students followed our evacuation procedures.”

Officials say the sprinkler system was set off in the affected classroom, both containing the fire and possibly causing some water damage, which crews worked to maintain Monday afternoon.

Students in seventh and eighth grade were able to return to class, and sixth-grade students were relocated to other areas of the building until the affected room was cleared, according to the school’s email to parents.

No major injuries were reported directly from the blaze, though a child was taken by ambulance to the hospital for a possible asthma attack, according to police scanner traffic.

COLUMBIA CITY — Norwell’s boys soccer team spoiled Columbia City’s senior honor recognition match...
SOUTH WHITLEY — There are 80 minutes in a girl's high school soccer game. Each half consists of 40...
SOUTH WHITLEY — With the mythical Whitley County Championship on the line, the Columbia City Lady...

 

Premium Drupal Themes by Adaptivethemes