COLUMBIA CITY â€” Firefighters worked to quickly control a fire at Indian Springs Middle School Monday morning.
At approximately 10:45 a.m., firemen from Columbia City and Columbia Township Fire Departments responded to a fire alarm at the middle school, located on Ind. 9, south of Columbia City.
Students were evacuated from the building, and sent to Little Turtle Elementary School to wait for officials to control the fire, which was believed to be started by a candle in a sixth-grade class.
ISMS sent an email to parents Monday afternoon, saying â€śAll staff and students followed our evacuation procedures.â€ť
Officials say the sprinkler system was set off in the affected classroom, both containing the fire and possibly causing some water damage, which crews worked to maintain Monday afternoon.
Students in seventh and eighth grade were able to return to class, and sixth-grade students were relocated to other areas of the building until the affected room was cleared, according to the schoolâ€™s email to parents.
No major injuries were reported directly from the blaze, though a child was taken by ambulance to the hospital for a possible asthma attack, according to police scanner traffic.